Inspired by the always-incredible work on Dolphin, I decided to write myself an NES emulator called Corrosion a couple years ago. I managed to get it working well enough to play basic games, and then put the project aside. This post is not about the emulator itself, but rather the JIT compiler I added to it last year and the upgrades to said JIT compiler I’ve made over the past few weeks.
Long, long ago (December 2015) I wanted to learn how emulators worked, so I decided to write an NES emulator. Not only that, but I opted to write it in Rust, a language which I had never used before. A crazy idea, to be certain, but once I was done I had indeed learned a great deal about emulators, the NES, and Rust. Anyway, I’ve been working on that project again lately, doing some maintenance work and upgrades.